We develop polymer based coatings which control the interaction between medical implants and biological tissue. The coatings are based on Layer-by-Layer deposition technique or thin hydrogels films. The main areas of application are cardio vascular implants/devices, anti bacterial coatings and self active coatings which allow for inclusion of active ingredients and their control release. Our activities also include development of foams as biomaterials and their properties characteriasation.
- Active biomaterials coatings. Coatings with desired cell adhesion properties and tailored drug release
- Antibacterial coatings / Anti-biofouling coatings
- Encapsulated polymeric formulations
- Synthesis of modification of polymers for biomedical applications
- Basic properties of single foam films – film thickness, film stability and permeability
- Stability and properties of foams and foam films
- Development of active coatings, e.g. antibacterial coatings, coatings for drug release
- Release/degradation (mechanism and kinetics) of thin polymer layers according to DIN ISO Norm 10993
- Analysis and characterisation of foams based on detailed characterisation of single foam films
- qCell T advanced quartz crystal microbalance (QCM) with damping and active temperature control (3T GmbH & Co.KG, Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany).
- Particle size, Molecular weight and Zeta potential measuring instrument Nano ZS (Malvern Instruments Ltd, UK)
- Direct access to Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy, Fluorescent Microscopy, Kryo SEM/TEM (group Mikrosysteme/Nanotechnik)
- Direct access to instruments for bioanalytical characterisation (group Bioanalytic)
- Expertise in X-ray and neutron scattering and reflectometry
- Combined multi functional video enhanced device based on a microscope Olympus IX 70 for characterisation of thin foam films: film thickness, contact angle film/meniscus, film permeability and stability.
- Devices and techniques for characterisation of foam stability
- MPI of Colloids and Interfaces, Potsdam-Golm; MPI of Polymer Research,
- Fraunhofer Institutes - IGB, IAO (Stuttgart); IAP, BMT (Golm/Potsdam)
- GKSS Geesthacht
- Universities - TU Berlin, Uni. Potsdam, Uni. Stuttgart, Uni. Tübingen, TU Warsawa, Uni. Sofia, Uni. Ljublijana, BOKU Vienna, TU Lisabon, ICSC PAN, Cracow.
- Companies - BASF, Sony, Bayer Vital, Shell, Polytech, QualiMed, CureVac
BASF, Sony, Bayer Vital, Shell, Polytech, QualiMed, CureVac, CureVac